Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pop Up Birthday Cake Card for Dad's Birthday

Yesterday was dad's 86th birthday and despite 3 different cancers and a number of heart problems over the years, he looks great!  He still mows the lawn, weed wacks, cleans up after the dogs.... This year I bought a very attractive 18" high Rainfall Gauge for his garden since he loves things like thermometers and clocks that chime and twirl.  I started thinking of the gift box I created for him last year and want to share it with you. 


This is a photo of one side of the box with the Japanese origami bird sitting on a nest of made of ribbon and a dangle of coordinating beads for added bling!
The gift box is a 4" square, created from a 12"x12" designer paper.  I had purchased a booklet of coordinating paper probably from Ross' and used it to create this interactive box. 

This is a view looking down at the top of the box cover.  I created the Japanese tsuru - origami style using 20 lb. weight paper.  I wish you could see it sparkle!  I added glitter just to the edges of the wings, a large gem to its back and, of course the twinkle of the bead dangle.
This is a view of the open box, all 12"x12" of it, as it lies flat once the cover if removed.  I used the Sizzix birthday cake die to create this 3-D card.  The die even includes the little candles!!  I buy the Sizzix products at Fisher Hawaii or Ben  Franklin stores.  Fisher Hawaii has expanded their line (entire rows) of craft items.  If you create a lot of items starting with plain backgrounds and add embellishments, I've discovered it's so much more economical to purchase cardstock in reams from Fisher.  Also, the cost of dies and large punches is lower at Fisher than regular craft stores.  
This is a view looking down onto the opened card.   Because the cake is not totally glued around the bottom edges, I was able to tuck some money under the cake, peeking out from under. 
 I LOVE the way it turned out!!
  Here it is a year later and I still  enjoy looking at it!
Happy Birthday  Dad!



1 comment: